Menu

28/12/2017

2017 TRAVELS | LONDON




Since 2017 is about to end, I thought I would share a small recap of two of my travels of this year because travelling is always a highlight for me. This first one is from London. I have been lucky enough to visit London a few times now, nearly ten times actually... It may sound a bit extreme, but if you really love a place that much, that is enough of a reason to keep going back and have the best time! However, I had more reasons. After my third visit to the city one of my best friends moved to London for two years, so of course we had to visit him... Then my cousin moved in as well, and still lives in the UK, so obviously, have to visit him too! But honestly, I would keep going anyway and feel no shame at all.


This year's visit was a short three day weekend that me and my mom took to go stay with my cousin. It was an interesting trip, let's put it this way. On our second day I lost my purse with my ID in it, and we had a flight in less than 24h. Thus, we spent nearly the whole of our last day in the Portuguese Consulate so I could get an identification document to be able to fly home the next day. I was there from 9h to 16h, and when it was finally my turn to do it the appointment only took about 10 minutes. That was quite a waste of our day but at the same time I was very lucky to still be able to fly home. If I had lost my purse on our last day instead, I would have been stuck in London for a bit longer (which doesn't sound that bad to be honest). 


I think in all of my trips to London there is only been one where I didn't go to Notting Hill. Cliché or not, it is my favourite area of the city, and if I'm there on a Saturday morning there is a 99% chance I will be heading to Portobello Road Market.


We also walked around Chelsea to spot some poshness, but mainly to walk down the King's Road towards Albert Bridge aka the most beautiful bridge. We crossed it, and experienced an amazing sunset with beautiful reflections in the modern Battersea buildings on one side and a lit up Albert Bridge on the other.



Food breaks are always necessary, especially cake breaks. This time we didn't explore any new places and neither the Breakfast Club or the Hummingbird Bakery are hidden gems in London. They are both very famous and for a good reason. In The Breakfast Club I had the Banoffee pancakes which were delicious, except I would go stronger on the caramel and chocolate sauces, but I'm a bit extra when it comes to sugar. In the Hummingbird Bakery, I went for the usual Cookies and Cream cupcake that never disappoints, but my mom's Biscoff cupcake was just as amazing. Sugar disclaimer: we didn't have these in the same day, although I totally would. 


I really enjoyed my days in London, as always, especially seeing my cousin. I already have plans to spend a bit more time in the UK in 2018. So I will be going back to London for sure, and explore other places too!