Menu

15/02/2018

LISBON EATS | PENTA CAFÉ



Where:
Rua Áurea
1100-048 Lisboa


Last time my cousin came to Portugal, I took him to one of my favourite spots to eat downtown. It's called Penta Café and it has the most insane toasties ever. Everything is ordered by size, so you can have a 1m toastie and share with the whole family! Since it was just the two of us and we also wanted different flavors, we ordered 15 or 20cm each. 


Besides the order by size situation, there is something else making this place an interesting one. There is no written menu. The lady who runs the restaurant (I think she is the owner, hope I'm not wrong) will tell you the menu through a carefully memorised speech that almost sounds like a song! You might not remember half of it by the time she finishes, but don't worry. She is the loveliest lady and will help you decide what to go for. 


There are all kinds of eccentric combinations to go for. Although, if you're a picky eater like me or just a fan of a good-old-simple-classic, that's always an option too.


They are famous for the toasties but their natural juices are amazing as well! However, my absolute favourites are the cakes, in particular the chocolate and caramel one. I mean just look at it... Also!! Forgot to mention but this place is very affordable! I'm talking a nice big filling toastie and drink for about 5€, can't get much better. 


Obviously, location is also a winner here! So give this place a go if you find yourself hungry in the area.